FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SEPTEMBER 24, 2018 — Today, Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions (CRES) formally announces Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska as a 2018 Clean Energy Champion. Senator Murkowski will be recognized at the CRES Clean Energy Champion Awards Reception during this week’s celebration of National Clean Energy Week (September 24-28, 2018).
“Senator Lisa Murkowski has a strong track record of advancing commonsense, clean energy solutions that benefit Alaskans and citizens across America. CRES is proud to honor Senator Murkowski as a 2018 Clean Energy Champion,” said CRES Managing Director Heather Reams.
“I’m proud to accept this award as we all work together to advance clean energy solutions,” Senator Lisa Murkowski said. “I’m a strong proponent of an ‘all of the above’ strategy that ensures all Americans have access to clean, affordable, and reliable energy. Our policy efforts, which include the promotion of energy efficiency and technological innovation, are producing real results by helping to lower costs in Alaska and across the nation, reduce emissions to mitigate climate change, and strengthen our energy security.”
CRES 2018 Clean Energy Champions are Republicans recognized for their steadfast leadership in advancing commonsense clean energy solutions that address our nation’s need for abundant, reliable energy while preserving our environment.
Examples of Senator Lisa Murkowski’s clean energy record include:
- Serves as Chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, where she supports the safe and efficient production and use of all forms of domestic energy, as well as research to help develop emerging technologies.
- As a senior member on the Appropriations Committee, helped to ensure that the FY18 budget included funding for important research and development endeavors, such as $3 million for the Army Corps of Engineers Research and Development Center to conduct Phase 1 microgrid studies into the feasibility of distributed electricity generation at Eielson Air Force Base.
- Introduced the bipartisan Energy Policy Modernization Act, which was overwhelmingly approved in April 2016 as the first major energy bill to pass the Senate in almost a decade and would authorize $500 million to support research and development into cleaner forms of energy. Although this bill was not signed into law during the 114th Congress, the current version of this bill, the Energy and Natural Resources Act of 2017, is pending on the Senate calendar for consideration.
- Secured the Senate’s unanimous passage of four bills that will help Alaska harness more of its vast hydropower resources.
- Recently led the introduction of the Nuclear Energy Leadership Act (NELA), bipartisan legislation to boost nuclear energy innovation and ensure advanced reactors can provide clean, safe, affordable and reliable power to meet national and global energy needs.
Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization founded in 2013 to engage Republican policymakers and the public about commonsense, conservative solutions to address our nation’s need for abundant, reliable energy while preserving our environment.