Vice President of Government Relations
Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions (CRES) is a non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington, DC, that engages policymakers and the public about responsible, conservative solutions to address our nation’s energy, economic, and environmental security while increasing America’s competitive edge.
CRES is seeking a seasoned government relations professional based in Washington, DC, to lead CRES’ federal efforts. The ideal Republican candidate will have demonstrated success at developing and executing impactful and comprehensive government relations campaigns at the federal level to advance energy and climate policy objectives. In this role, under the direction of the Executive Director, this position will be responsible for advocacy and policy outreach efforts in the legislative and executive branches.
- Effectively manage and represent CRES’ vision and policy priorities that seek to lower worldwide emissions and expand clean energy while embracing a limited government role;
- Initiate and cultivate relationships with federal policymakers and their staff, ensuring that CRES’ federal legislative and policy stances are known;
- Develop and maintain relationships with U.S. Congress and the Administration by maintaining high visibility on Capitol Hill and gathering information and legislative intelligence;
- Develop and lead creation of strategies and tactics for implementing CRES’ policy goals;
- Track, analyze and advise on new and current legislation relevant to CRES’ mission and provide regular updates on committee actions and sponsorships;
- Prioritize members of Congress and advise the communications team on which members to focus;
- Track committee activities and manage a system to track issues of importance to CRES; and
- Lead a growing government relations team to include managing external consultants to support the implementation of key responsibilities, providing regular evaluation of team members, making recommendations of contract renewals, etc.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Experience managing a successful federal government affairs program that includes coordination of internal staff and external consultants;
- Senior-level experience on Capitol Hill;
- Extensive working knowledge and experience with Congressional and executive branch process and procedures;
- Current relationships with committees of jurisdiction that have oversight over clean energy policy, as well as knowledge of clean energy policy and of current legislative efforts;
- Deep understanding of public affairs strategies and tactics to achieve legislative goals, desired;
- Experience in managing an organizational PAC, desired;
- Experience speaking on the record to media, desired;
- A natural at public affairs; an excellent communicator with demonstrated writing, editing and speaking skills;
- Excellent organizational and communications skills, attention to detail and an ability to multitask, meet deadlines and drive consensus in a fast-paced environment; and
- A strong desire to lead a team toward success.
- Comprehensive medical & dental, vision, fully paid for employee
- Generous paid time off
- Four weeks paid parental leave
- 6 Federal Holidays plus 2 floating holidays
- Week off between December 25 and January 1
- Matching 401k
- Fully paid STD/ LTD
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Paid parking or commute stipend
- Professional development stipend
- Annual bonuses and year-end bonus have been historically awarded
- Gym availability in office building at no cost
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references to [email protected]. Please use “VP Government Relations” as the subject line for your e-mail. We review applications on a rolling basis, so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. CRES is an equal opportunity employer. A background check is required before a formal offer is made to any candidate.