Vice President of Communications
Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions (CRES) is a non-profit advocacy organization based in Washington, DC, that engages policymakers and the public about responsible, conservative solutions to address our nation’s energy, economic, and environmental security while increasing America’s competitive edge. Our work is at the heart of today’s public policy and political discussions.
CRES seeks a seasoned communications professional based in Washington, DC, to lead all facets of CRES’ communications efforts to advance energy and climate policy objectives. The ideal Republican candidate has a proven track record of executing comprehensive communications campaigns at the federal level. The successful candidate prefers working at a campaign pace and strives to lead a team to success. The Vice President of Communications will report to the Executive Director and will be an essential part of the senior leadership team.
- Effectively communicate CRES’ vision and policy priorities to external audiences that seek to lower worldwide emissions and expand clean energy while embracing a limited government role;
- Develop and oversee the execution of communications plans with clear metrics that integrate earned, paid, and new media;
- Oversee and direct the day-to-day external communications activities and the internal processes related to those activities;
- Manage and coordinate a large team of in-house and external communications professionals, including the implementation of key responsibilities, regular evaluation of team members, recommendations of contract renewals, etc.;
- Serve as a spokesperson for CRES with partner organizations, key stakeholders, and the media;
- Support and prepare CRES’ Executive Director for media interviews;
- Monitor the evolving political, policy, and media landscape around clean energy and climate issues and advise CRES’ senior team on proactive strategies aimed at injecting CRES’ policies, messaging, and unique voice into the public debate;
- Play a leading role on the development of polling and messaging;
- Develop and/or manage the communications team on the development of press materials, including talking points, press advisories and releases, op-eds, and memos in support of communications plans and goals;
- Build strong, proactive relationships with print, broadcast, and new media reporters, editors, and producers, including national and state trade and political reporters;
- Create/ maintain working relationships with communications leaders on the Hill, at allied organizations, and trade association partners.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Experience managing a successful, high-paced communications team that includes overseeing internal staff and external consultants;
- Minimum experience of 10 years in communications, public relations, or advocacy; issue advocacy, political campaign, and strategic experience preferred; Hill experience required;
- Background in clean energy policy, advocacy, or trade association experience preferred;
- Strong media relations experience and contacts as well as experience supporting senior executive media engagements;
- Demonstrates political sophistication, including having great instincts with ability to anticipate how others will respond to our work;
- Excellent writing and editing skills with an ability to move copy quickly;
- Exceptional speaking and presentation skills;
- Excellent organizational skills with an attention to detail and a remarkable ability to multitask, meet deadlines and drive consensus in a fast-paced environment; and,
- A strong desire to lead a team toward success.
- Comprehensive medical & dental, vision, fully paid for employee
- Generous paid time off
- Four weeks paid parental leave
- 6 Federal Holidays plus 2 floating holidays
- Week off between December 25 and January 1
- Matching 401k
- Fully paid STD/ LTD
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Paid parking or commute stipend
- Professional development stipend
- Annual bonuses and year-end bonus historically have been awarded
- Gym availability in office building at no cost
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three references to [email protected]. Please use “VP Communications” as the subject line for your e-mail. We review applications on a rolling basis, so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. CRES is an equal opportunity employer. A background check is required before a formal offer is made to any candidate.